Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wow!!

It's been a few days since I posted and you all wouldn't believe how much has been crammed into those few days!!

There was a welcome reception Wednesday night. (10/15) What struck me about the room was how high the ceiling was. This hotel is supposedly one of the largest in the world. It's been so nice staying here. I've been told the rooms are at least $400 a night.

Thursday 10/16--Got up at 5am and went to the world famous fish market. Its size cannot be described except to say that in every direction I turned it was market as far I could see. The general public isn't allowed to enter the tuna auctions but as we were walking back to peek through the small windows, someone opened up one of the big doors and left it up and so I watched a few minutes of it. We followed a tuna back to the stall where the men who bought it cut it up. The pictures show some of it as well as other cool things I saw.

Thursday night we went to 100 yen store. It's like our dollar stores. We used the subway and after a few moments of hesitation we figured it out. It is so clean inside the trains. That's my group as we are about to get on. After dinner we went to a place where we had to bend over to get through a little doorway. It was a small place with a great view and good jazz music.
The best but hardest part of Friday, October 18, 2008 was the presentation by this man, Mr. Keijiro Matsushima. He is a survivor of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima. He gave a first hand account of the actual bombing and the horrific aftermath. It was gut-wrenching to hear what he had to say but the thing that will stay with me forever is that he is nice, warm, generally happy man. He says that he speaks out about what happened to him now so that no one will ever used the A-bomb again. A woman also spoke as the daughter of a survivor and she detailed her ailments including several buts with cancer. Both speakers talked of the danger of polarization and the need for humanity to realize that we are human beings first. It was a presentation I will never forget.
Saturday was the best day yet! My new friends Joe and Nick and I went to the Tokyo National Museum. After the tour, we walked in the gigantic park and came across an outdoor market. Then we headed to the Shibuya district where there is one of the busiest intersections in the world. I was even able to find Hachiko, the famous dog statue. The three of us had a great day--perfect pace with perfect company!! I am so happy to be visiting some of the places I've seen and heard about on TV. It is surreal at times--like a great dream!!
p.s. **Friday night, Joe W. and I walked to dinner out the front of the hotel. (I'd been walking out the backside.) We passed by a city park and hear crowd noises so we go to look. I couldn't believe my eyes--American football!! They had helmets and shoulder pads and were playing full contact. I don't know if it was a club or their ages but it was so funny and wonderful to see. We stayed for a few minutes and then went on to dinner. Cold sake and hot noodles!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I am so happy for you and the things you are getting to see and hear. I miss you.

Robin

Ana Rocha said...

If I'm enjoying everything you're posting, I can imagine how much you are enjoying being there in person. Take care and continue keeping us posted.
-Ana Rocha