Tuesday, November 11, 2008

October 25-26, 2008--The Homestay


I am not sure that I'm going to be able to explain my experience adequately. It was wonderful and confusing and fun and and nerve-wracking (beforehand) all at the same time and I will never be the same for having met the Endo family. I am grateful for their hospitality and their willingness to let a stranger from the other side of the planet into their home for a brief 23 hours that passed all to quickly.


This is their driveway and the garden. After I arrived, Mrs. Endo served me English tea. As soon as she offered that, I knew everything was going to be just fine! I hadn't been as nervous as some people in my group--what I had worried about was what we would do if they didn't speak any English because I have zero ability to speak Japanese. Even after the week of school visits all I could do was introduce myself. Luckily, they knew quite a bit. Dr. Endo and his family have lived in Brazil and Morocco but he said his English was rusty. I said it wasn't that rusty if he remembered that idiom! His wife and son understood alot but didn't speak as much. Dinner was wonderful--we had pork and cabbage stew, tomatoes, radish, chrysanthemums, noodles, sushi, tangerines and of course, rice. It was a ton of food!! The area around Minamisoma is known for their tomatoes and they did not disappoint--they were super red and very, very good.


They seemed to like the gifts I brought, especially the Snickers. I gave them postcards of Dallas and Texas and Mrs. Endo recognized the armadillos. She said there were a lot of them in Brazil.

The Endo's had a traditional Japanese room complete with a tatami floor, their Buddhist shrine, a silk screen divider, paper doors, and a ceremonial fire pit. They asked if I wanted to stay in there and of course I said yes! Mrs. Endo and I made the pallet on the floor for me. Dr. Endo and his son even brought in the chair--I said I didn't need it (I didn't want to damage the floor) but they were so nice and insisted.



I thoroughly enjoyed the bath I took. I must admit though, that I didn't soak as long as I would have liked because the water was so very hot. Meg told us that it would be but still--wow!! I even ran cold water. I turned so red for awhile that it looked like I had a sunburn. I slept very, very well that night. Breakfast was delicious--eggs, ham, toast, seaweed salad, persimmons, and the greenest broccoli I have ever seen. Really--I don't know why, but it was super green.


After breakfast we went to the club where Dr. Endo's son practices Kyudo--Japanese archery. The setting was gorgeous--you can tell from the picture that even though I was seated indoors, it felt like being outdoors because of the building's open side. The weather was cool and the air was crisp and the neighborhood was quiet. Kyudo is not about shooting or hitting the target. Kyudo literally means "the way of the bow." He said that he is still in the "beginner's" class after six years. I tried it---needless to say, archery is not my thing! I felt honored that he wanted to share his hobby with me.

We went to a conveyor belt sushi place for lunch. If you ordered something special it came to your table on a separate belt that was made to look like the bullet train. It was hilarious! Before I left, they presented me with gifts--a handkerchief, a robe, and a pottery candlewarmer made by their daughter.

Again, I'm not sure I can express all of the feelings--it's unnerving to go into a stranger's home and even more so when you know you don't speak the language. And yet I felt welcome instantly. They were kind and generous and tried very hard to make me feel comfortable. Their home was lived-in and I am so glad I didn't let my apprehension ruin the experience.

It was definitely a highlight of this trip.

1 comment:

Teresa C said...

I've so enjoyed reading all your posts! How fun. Looks like you had a great time.